Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Prototype board

Hello again, it’s been a good week on the gaming scene for me. Last Tuesday I went round for an evening of Space Hulk with Jackson Pope. I’d only met Jack once before at Beyond Monopoly! But he seemed like a nice chap (who lived locally) and after a few e-mails we’d arranged a gaming evening. He’s written a much better session report than I could, so check out his blog for details. Suffice to say I lost all the games I played, but had a thoroughly fun time!

Beyond Monopoly! was on last Saturday but I ended up missing it due to various reasons. I did put my extra spare time to good use though by doing further work on the Mega-City One Game, which I’ll now refer to as ‘Citywise’ until I can think of a better name.

After buying some thin card from a shop in town, I managed to print up some cards for the game. There are four decks of cards (Block, Street, Crisis, and Item) as well as character cards and money. All the cards are very rough versions with no artwork or designs, but they allow a playable game.

Until now, I’ve been playing the game on a very rough hand drawn board so I spent some time this weekend drawing a prototype board on the computer. I’m going to ask a friend of mine to print this out full size at work for me. It’s 45 x 70 cm so a large laser printer is required.

Artwork could well be an issue with the design of this (and future) games. I’m frankly rubbish at art, I don’t know anyone who is good at art, and I can’t afford to be paying people to do the illustrations for me. I think I may have to have cards with no illustrations, but I’d still hlike to have illustrations for the characters. Ah well, I’m sure something will present itself…

I played a couple of games of Citywise solo over the weekend to make sure it played okay, it did. Once I’ve got a reasonable prototype, I’ll start touting it around to get some opinion on it and some feedback on tweaking it (or just giving up and binning it!).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home